Monday, May 5, 2014

Zeitoun

In my English class we are now reading a book called Zeitoun written by Dave Eggers. This book revolves around Zeitoun and his family's experience with hurricane Katrina. Zeitoun stays back in New Orleans while his family decides to leave due to the warning of the category 5 hurricane. While Zeitoun had stayed back he saved lives. I believe Zeitoun is a selfless man. He's saving lives of people. He is saving lives of some that he does not even know. That to me shows a sign of selflessness. The book talks about how Zeitoun rescues the eighty year old woman(page 103). He lifts the eighty year old woman who is over 200 pounds while she is on the ladder and while Zeitoun is under water. Zeitoun gets her on the motor boat safe and sound. He did not give up on that eighty year old woman and did whatever he can to help her. He seems like a very heroic person who would save a life to his best extent. If Zeitoun had not been there then that lady might have not survived. Zeitoun is a normal man who saved plenty of lives. He is selfless and heroic.

1 comment:

  1. I can read your response and know that your claim is that you think Zeitoun is a selfish man. The book was well introduced. I do believe he was selfish to let his family leave without him putting them last when it comes to importance. I personally would put my family first no matter what. However I do command him for helping the other people around him even if he didn’t know them. I don’t think that was a selfless act at all. He gave that old woman hope when she probably lost it all. Your response was well written and understood.

    ReplyDelete